Follow by Email

Tuesday, 20 August 2013

Op-shop Curios

Recently I've lucked upon some unusual records during my travels around Perth and in the countryside, both north and south. Quite often op-shops mainly yield bad 60's and 70's crooners (in particular Kamahl, the biggest op-shop artist ever - sorry Kamahl) and classical records that are in poor shape. But sometimes you strike gold and it's quite a special feeling when you do. Around Perth op-shop records have risen to the heady prices of two to four dollars, but when I found The Pink Family album in an op-shop in Northhampton just north of Geraldton the women behind the counter initially told me that the records were free! (kind of defeats the purpose of an op-shop...), but when I expressed surprise they conferred and then charged me twenty cents. Thanks op-shop gals! Today I finally cleaned these records and I'm going to give them a listen, see if there are any lost classics amongst them.

A Kiwi Christian family from the 70's - disco for Jesus!



How could you resist these guys?



A Philippines record from 1976 - it was still sealed by shrink wrap after 37 years!



The guy sitting is a real dude.



He's Spanish - that's all I know



The Italian Buddy Holly apparently - this LP is from 73'.



A Philippines record of Latin music.



A record from Argentina - 1969.



An Australian believe it or not.



Speaks for itself!

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I listened to Rarotonga Style and it was hilarious - every song had the same chords, rhythm and tempo but with different lyrics. Serrat was a cool record - a bit of a crooner though.

      Delete
    2. So Detroit Dynamite hasn't tempted you?

      Delete
  2. Just marvellous J, The Pink Family put me in mind of all those soft focus Carpenters/Abba albums!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it's definitely of that era - the music too, which is disco lite.

      Delete
  3. presumably "op shop" is the australian equivalent of UK charity shops and US thrift stores? if so, what does it actually stand for?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is indeed. It stands for opportunity shop. I wonder if they are the three names used, or are there any more?

      Delete